Feature Request: Search for Vizualizations

As a casual viewer or visualization author, I want to be able to search the full content of VizHub visualizations and users (5,000 and counting) based on keywords or spefific strings.

Idea: users typically want to find their own creations, so those could be prioritized in the search result listing.

This topic is the newest version of the original GitHub issue: VizHub-UI Search

Related to Feature Request: Search for Users

Design for the first pass:

For the first iteration, it’s fine to just have the Search box on the home page.

Some CSS for this design (a bit verbose as it’s copied straight from Zeplin, but should give a good place to start):

.Rectangle {
  width: 229px;
  height: 40px;
  border-radius: 6px;
  box-shadow: 0 1px 4px 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15);
  background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.55);
}
.Search {
  width: 228px;
  height: 20px;
  font-family: Poppins;
  font-size: 14px;
  font-weight: normal;
  font-stretch: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  line-height: normal;
  letter-spacing: normal;
  text-align: center;
  color: #c0c0c0;
}

The above is for the placeholder. The typed content should be black.

For the search results page, no design yet but for a first pass, let’s just use the same design as the home page. The same sort of pagination that’s on the home page should also work here for search results.

I feel that the lack of search function makes VizHub not as useful or powerful as it could be.

When I am trying to learn a particular visualization strategy (scrubbing / interactivity / animation) I currently (am forced to) go straight to google … and AWAY from VizHub :frowning: … to learn more about it, rather than searching on VizHub.

Without a search function, it is also not possible/not easy to find a vizualisation mentioned (at some point) in, for example, your 13 hours video.

+10 for search function!

Yes definitely. Totally agree. Will prioritize search!

Search has landed!

For example: https://vizhub.com/search?query=force

1 Like

fantastic!

It may be neccessary - once users stack up hundreds of vizzez - to have a search within the profile area … so that it is possible to search through your own private stuff.

That’s a great idea! Created a new topic for that idea here Feature Request: Search within Profile